Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Goals.

January 1st, 2016. The first day of a new year. Maybe it's because I'm a teacher or because I've always loved school, but this first day of the year on the calendar doesn't feel as much like the first day of the year as the first day of school does. I will still go back to the same job with the same kids and be counting down the days until June. 

Regardless, I do like the time of the year to reflect and look forward. This past year was the best of my life. Most importantly, I got married. Along with that I had so many fun events with my friends (bridal shower, bachelorette party, trips to Pullman) and generally good things happening in many areas of my life. I feel blessed to have had such a great year. It makes me a little nervous about if 2016 will be able to live up to it, but I will do everything I can to enjoy every minute and find the best in each day. 

Here are some goals I have for this year:

1. Buy a house! 
We have been living in an apartment for two and a half years and I am ready for more space. We started looking at houses more seriously in the past few weeks and we are going be getting pre-approved soon then looking for a realtor. If anyone has a great house buying tips, feel free to share. :) 

2. Spend less time on social media and more time present with my husband and others in my life. 
I spend a lot of time on my computer and phone, especially after school and in the evenings. It's hard because I do enjoy it and think of it as my time to unwind but I also feel like it's way too much. I need to put it away and focus on my husband and us spending time together. Even if we are just watching tv together I would rather be focused on that together instead of texting or scrolling through twitter at the same time. 

3. Get back to the gym 3 times a week and run at least one 5k. 
I am the epitome of a yo-yo dieter and gym goer. I was working out twice a day in the summer and on a super strict diet to lose weight for my wedding. I didn't have a lot to lose, but I made it to my goal weight and was the smallest I have ever been in my adult life. I loved how I looked for the summer and all of the events that took place surrounding my wedding. I don't need to go on as crazy of a diet, but I know how good I feel when I am working out so I need to get back to that. 

4. Spend more time in the word, journaling, and in prayer. 
I have a one year bible that I started last year and didn't make it all of the way through last year. I want to try to finish that this year. I have also been given quite a few Christian books, both novels and other studies, that I want to start getting through. I should be spending time doing this as opposed to being on social media, so those two goals will go hand in hand. I am also leading a high school small group and I know that will help me grow and I look forward to growing through that as well. 

5. Read at least one book a month 
I enjoy reading and I don't make enough time for it. I want to be more intentional with my time and that includes reading which is both enjoyable and relaxing for me. I am in a book club where we read one book a month so that should make this goal easy, but I still wanted to include it. 

What are some of your goals for 2016? 
*All images from Pintrest 

No comments:

Post a Comment