Thursday, July 4, 2013

Nehemiah

I read this book a couple of years ago before I ever really studied the bible and when I returned to it in my reading this week I found some things that really stood out that I wanted to share.

"Do not grieve for the joy of the Lord if your strength." - Nehemiah 8:10

Joy is something that comes from the Lord. Even in the hard times it is important to remember that even though we are in the midst of hard times, the Lord still loves us and wants to see us full of joy. There are many things that we can allow to interrupt our joy but we have to push past them to see all of the things that we have to be joyful for. I pray that I keep my eyes fixed on the Lord, on all of my blessings, and on the joy in my life.

"Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes." - Nehemiah 4:14

I pray that if I am given a task by the Lord that I have the strength to complete it no matter who my enemies are. I pray that I will take time first, in prayer, to ask for support and guidance and that once it is clear that this task is meant for me that I will be steadfast. Nehemiah did not give up on his task to help restore Jerusalem. Even when he was facing opposition and his enemies were right before him he first "prayed to out God and posted a guard day and night to meet the threat." (Nehemiah 4:9). In my life and I am working to make my prayer more intentional and constant throughout the day and Nehemiah is a reminder of the importance of this task. Whenever I face something in life, big or small, prayer should be the first thing I do.

"We will not neglect the house of our God." - Nehemiah 10:39

I pray that God is always first in my life and that I always provide him with a home in my heart.


Anyone else read Nehemiah lately or have any thoughts on this book? I'd love to hear!

-J

1 comment:

  1. You make me want to re-read Nehemiah!! Great insight and reminders!

    ReplyDelete