Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Teacher Talk Intro



 I am so excited to be starting this link up, thanks Nicole and Jamie for organizing this!

Alright, lets get down to the nitty gritty. This will be my first year teaching and I will be teaching high school science and agriculture. I majored in Agriculture Education because I was involved with FFA in high school and it totally changed my life. If you know what FFA is, then you probably think of country kids at fairs chasing around their animals. Some of my students are exactly like that but I was in FFA for three years and never raised an animal. I was involved with the leadership aspects and Environmental Sciences/Natural Resources. I could talk about FFA for hours but I'll stop here, moral of the story being that is why I chose Agriculture. In my school that falls into the science department so I'll be teaching 2 periods of 9th grade general science, 1 period of horticulture, 2 period of remedial science for juniors who didn't pass the state standardized test in biology (but passed the bio class). It should be an interesting mix but I'm up for the challenge.

I've known I wanted to be a teacher since about 6th grade. I had a really awesome 6th grade teacher and I really looked up to her. In high school I was in a class called 'Teaching Academy' and it solidified that it was the right profession for me.

I live in Washington State and love it here...despite the rain. haha. I was born and lived in New Jersey for 10 years so I'm an East Coast girl at heart but Washington is now my home.

I was blessed to be hired at the school where I did my student teaching so I am actually not that nervous about the beginning of the school year. The admin team is SO supportive and all of the staff has been so welcoming. I loved my student teaching experience and I am confident that teaching there will be just as wonderful. The school has a culture like you wouldn't believe, everyone is so supportive and kind to one another. It's almost unreal. I couldn't ask for a better place to teach.

I'm most nervous about discipline and planning for my three preps/running a greenhouse/being a club advisor, but i'm up for the challenge!

-J

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being hired into a school that you are comfortable at! Staff and administration make all the difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. I found your blog on the link-up. You will love teaching high schoolers...just be consistent with them!! I was an FFA'er when I was in highschool! That is awesome! I'm excited to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I found your blog through the link up. I'm not teaching this year because I decided to stay home with our baby and because we moved. But I remember my first year so well, it was the hardest year ever! I only made it through by the grace of God - not to be discouraging - but it only made my second year amazing! I learned to be super mean at the beginning of the school year, you are not there to make friends with the students, you are there to be their teacher and they will only respect you if you are consistent and hard on them. I'm sure you will love it and be great! I know I taught in a different state, but if you have any questions or need any advice on teaching high schoolers, I would love to chat with you :) Blessings to you as you start the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! Another first year teacher! You high school ladies are tough. :) I can't wait to see how your semester goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, buddy! I'm so excited to be paired with you for this link up :) and the fact that were both high school science makes it that much cooler!

    I'm definitely on the same page of not loving the discipline aspect of the job... But it gets easier with time!

    Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting to know you!!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first year can definitely be nerve wracking but it sounds like you will be ahead of the game since you student taught in your school! You are so right - it makes things less scary! Good luck this year!!

    ReplyDelete