Friday, May 24, 2013

Song in my head

I am a music lover. I was in band for 11 years (5th grade straight through college) and even was in a band service fraternity. So, it would be an understatement to say that music had an influence in my life. As a result I feel like I have a constant soundtrack in my head that is impossible to turn off. There are always lyrics scrolling through my mind and I find myself singing to myself when I think none of my students are paying attention. I try to be careful with the type of music that I listen to because I want the thoughts that are in my head to be ones that are positive and upbeat. 


'Christ is risen from the dead
Trampling over death by death
Come awake, come awake!
Come and rise up from the grave!'


A couple months ago I challenged myself to try and listen to only Christian music for a month. I didn't really keep track of it but I left my radio tuned to the local Christian station and put my favorite Christian cd (Tricia Brock) in my car. I found that I loved the music and it put me in such a great mood on my way to work! I love being able to praise the Lord every morning and thank him for giving me another day on this great Earth. No matter my mood, there is a song that fits, and I love that. 


I lean not on my understanding, my life is in the hands of the Maker of Heaven 
I give it all to you, Lord, trusting that you'll make something beautiful out of me
I will climb this mountain with my hands wide open.
There is nothing I hold onto.  Nothing I hold onto.  Nothing I hold onto.


This is my favorite song lately and I have had it on repeat since I discovered it. It speaks to me because right now I am trying to figure out some important things in my life and I want to give it all to the Lord. When I feel overwhelmed or worried about something I remember that the Lord is doing something beautiful with me and I need to open my hand and be ready for whatever comes my way. I find so much comfort in knowing that I am not necessarily in control of my destiny, and knowing that someone who loves me more than I could ever know, is. 

What songs are always running in your head?

-J 

1 comment:

  1. I heard the song "redneck yacht club" in the car the other day and I can't get it out of my head. Annoying

    ReplyDelete